Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Welcome to the M Zeroes....

The luncheon was fun yesterday. My trip to Jackson overall was a stressful one, everything just seemed to go wrong... then I got to the luncheon and the 11:00-1:00 sign that was posted in the lobby thoroughly freaked me out. Turns out they reserved the first hour for catering, so we really weren't late.

The first few minutes were sort of awkward... no one wanted to talk... then Dr. C acknowledged this fact and we all laughed a bit and started opening up. In some ways, it's just like starting college where you don't know anyone. In other ways, it's completely different. For one thing, college is a mix of fun and study, where med school is such an investment. Of course we'll find ways to have fun along the way but when you get a bunch of pre-meds together who've been in competition for years and suddenly try to get them to be friends, I suppose it takes a little time :)

By the end, we had made a core group of 4 at our table that talked quite a bit. It's going to make orientation MUCH easier having met a significant number of people and actually getting to know a few. K and I are going to meet up this summer and spend a little time together before all hell breaks loose August 4th :) J was there, which was nice because I did know him a bit before. I also met D, who is very cool as well.

Just from what I saw yesterday, I think our class is going to mesh really well. We got some valuable info at the luncheon:
-financial aid should arrive anytime in the next few weeks
-buddy list will come out the end of may and the m1's that were there were really really excited about us coming in and assure us that they'll be a great resource
-more orientation info and student affairs info will come in the first part of June.

I had an overwhelming day where I was a little more freaked out and less excited... but today it's flipped around again :)

3 comments:

TheMitt said...

I think I missed the awkward part, haha. When I got there everyone was already talking, and I had a nice little conversation with Dr. Case before we ate.

I agree with you, though, our class looks good. Lots of nice people

OleMissBabyDoc, M.D. said...

Yeah, it was quite funny. Hopefully that was the ice breaker for the year... at least we know some people now :)

tinyletters said...

They'll be your best friends in no time. For instance, I ate lunch today after our test with three of my classmates that I didn't even know that well until mid way through first year. And they are great. We talked about child birth and the complications of surgery on morbidly obese people all over pizza. ha ha