Sunday, August 9, 2009

Here goes: day one..

Tomorrow morning we begin the journey. I've printed the powerpoints and done all the assigned reading... and indeed, like everyone said, it's a LOT. But I'm going in with the "I can do" attitude and setting up the routine.

Apparently, pre-reading (or skimming) the material, going to lecture, and the post-reading is the method most people seem to think is most helpful. I've used this method in the past and it worked, so we're going to keep it up. I can't bring myself to try to take notes on the powerpoints just yet - ask me again tomorrow night. For now, I'm killing trees and printing it all. (Yes, it's a lot of trees.. but its my printer, my ink, and paper that's already been made). I'll be taking notes the old-fashioned way tomorrow. It sticks better when I write it, so I'll have to figure out a good hybrid of writing/typing that is most efficient.

We have a CMDA dinner/meet and greet tonight at 6 that I'm really looking forward to. Should be a great chance to meet people along the same wavelength as me and establish a good faith support system.

1 comments:

tinyletters said...

I tried the same thing... refusing to only handwrite my notes at first. I had a 3 ring binder full of notes for the first test before I realized it wasn't gonna work. So I bought a program called GoBinder and have used it ever since and I love it. It's a digital notebook that you can organize all your class notes in, write wherever you want (not just in a tex box), highlight in different colors, etc directly on the ppt or pdf. It's amazing. Let me know if you are interested.

On a good note: I think there were two people in the class that stuck it out and still wrote hand notes all the way through... so it's possible.

Good Luck tomorrow.