Sunday, October 9, 2011

Life on the psych ward.... week 2

Another week down. Another specialty checked off the list. It's not that I'm utterly miserable (when I'm working - everyone's miserable when they're sitting), it's just not my thing. Mental/Emotional change is a lot slower than physical critical/care style change. Occasionally we have a patient come in that makes a spectacular recovery in a few days - that's cool. But that's the unusual. In fact, most of our patients have been headed to MSH lately instead of home :(.
At least I'm learning all about the mental status exam and how to do it right - and quickly. And my team rocks.
One more week on this service. Tuesday is our CPI training if they don't cancel it again. CPI stands for Crisis Prevention and Intervention - pretty sure I could've used that before now.... but it's another certification to add to my CV I suppose.

Went to Sams yesterday and bought myself a centerpiece for the table for Christmas... then put it on the table. Yes, it's October. Yes, I'm crazy. That's what happens when you're locked in a double-locked down unit for 9 hours a day, sitting in a room staring at three other girls and wondering if/when your attending is going to round. But with Pinterest and my new word search book (also from Sams), I feel as though the last few long days on the unit may be a little less stir crazy. :)

0 comments: