Saturday, October 15, 2011

"Code White - 7W"

The last week on 7W was very interesting. Tuesday we had our CPI training (Crisis Prevention and Intervention) and it was just in time. Wednesday was a scary, scary day. Starting pretty much before 8 AM, our first code white had been called. And this code white was very similar to a code blue at the VA - a complete cluster, and nothing like what we were taught in CPI (IE: Code white to CPI as Code Blue VA is to ACLS). Patient was eventually, with the help of a SWAT team, taken down and subdued... for a while. Then someone had the brilliant idea (read: least restrictive environment) that it was safe to return them to general functioning....

5:30 PM - Code White #2. Pretty much as awesome as the first, with complete return of SWAT team. I've decided FOR SURE that psych is never in my future after that experience. I've never been afraid for my life or those around me with a patient before, but I wasn't sure if we were all going to make it out alive on Wed.

And Thursday... we had to do it all over again (show up, that is). Patient was more subdued and we were able to "soft code" once and never needed SWAT... but everyone stayed on edge.

Good news - Psych Rotation 1 and Midterm are done. Three weeks to go and I'll be in my happy place. Got the schedule for my first PedsElective and I'm super pumped! I saw the words "NICU" listed for Wednesday afternoons and began to drool.....

0 comments: