Friday, June 25, 2010

“Father asked us what was God's noblest work. Anna said men, but I said babies. Men are often bad, but babies never are."

“Father asked us what was God's noblest work. Anna said men, but I said babies. Men are often bad, but babies never are." - Louise May Alcott, Little Women

It's been a trying two weeks for me personally. We had quite a scare with my grandfather's health that only the good Lord brought him out of. Thanks to lots and lots of prayers and his strength and resilience, today marked the end of a tumultuous and long hospital stay. He's home and doing well! Due to those developments, I spent the better part of last week playing doctor- but not on the babies. I went home to be with my family and try, to the best of my ability, to fill my role as the family rock. It's hard to be the one everyone looks to for medical knowledge, especially just one year in. There's still so much I don't know. However, just one year gives you a lot of pull in the hospital environment. I was able to follow more - and help more - than I ever thought possible. Once again, I thank my Heavenly Father for that.

As far as the NICU goes, this week has been wonderful - a great learning experience. My attending is still off service, so I've spent each with rounding with a different attending... this week's was incredibly intense teaching-wise and I learned a ton. I was also able to make it to all of the Pediatrics meetings (Grand Rounds, Case Management) this week and those are also good....

Rounds today were crazy. What usually lasts 90 minutes or so was complicated by an intubation, cardioversion, and delivery. I got to assist a bit (as in hold stuff) on the intubation, and I'm looking forward to being certified Monday.. hopefully I'll get to do my own first intubation soon! I finished my written test for certification this week, so it's just practice on Monday and meet all the new residents.

I'm settling in nicely and my research is going well. I'm looking forward to the next month and continued involvement throughout the next couple of years, M4 rotation, and residency & fellowship. Is it June 2013 yet???



Random quote from an unnamed in the unit:
"Honey, siblings aren't allowed back here..[in the NICU]. Where's your mom or dad?"
...
"I was just bringing my baby some breast milk"


And so it goes in today's society. Insert foot in mouth, unnamed.

0 comments: