Sunday, July 25, 2010

Today is gone. Today was fun. Tomorrow is another one. Every day, from here to there. funny things are everywhere.

I thought i'd finish up the "one fish two fish" reference from the previous post...

It was an amazing week in the NICU. Carrying my own patient load is just wonderful - i've learned so much about fluid and electrolyte management, lab values, sepsis workups... and those two little angels in general. The thought of returning to the classroom soon is just UGH.

Took my "last" call on Thursday night. It was a crazy day... I rounded on the kids, gave my presentation to the residents during their morning lecture, then we had regular grand rounds... by then things were starting to get crazy. I went to a delivery during that and by the time I got back we had a kid falling apart on one side of the nursery with surgery at the bedside doing a repair... then we had a significant problem on the OTHER side (and since my attending was on call and that one had left we were covering all 95+ beds). I got to see a pretty neat procedure over there. It's funny, because there's a set of twins on that side that are similar to the ones I'm following - just a couple weeks earlier and sicker. I've learned a lot about twinning lately. :)

It never really settled down through the night - I slept for a couple of hours. By the time it got quiet, I couldn't settle my head down and sleep, so I helped with late night feedings. There just isn't anything sweeter than rocking a baby while you coax them to eat. Especially looking at that baby realizing that three months ago, it was highly unlikely he would survive, much less make it to this point. "I was unconditionally and irrevocably in love"

One more week. It ends too soon, but I must return to the classroom. Time to get it over with.

2 comments:

q8i-summer-project said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
chasingzebras said...

Sounds like you've gotten a lot of experience this summer. It'll help so much during 3rd year!

Hope 2nd year flies by :)