Friday, July 16, 2010

159 (class/tests days in M2 year)

159 days of class and tests in the upcoming year.
This translates to 257 total days, including weekends and holidays (most of all which will be spent studying).

These numbers are discouraging and encouraging. With two weeks left in the NICU, I'm already fighting a heavy heart going back to the classroom. However, I know it's necessary evil - something that must be done in order to reach the ultimate goal. I know I'll be able to visit and stay involved in pediatrics as much as my study schedule allows this year - I just hope that is at least occasional. I'm going to do my best to stay on top of the work, not get behind, and have an amazing year. /End future-freak-out-moment.

As for this week, it's been wonderful. I went to the OR three days this week with three different kids from the NICU. Ended up being with three different specialty surgeons (peds general, ENT, and neuro) and getting lots of OR/anatomy experience. It's not as bad as I thought it might be. In fact, surgery is almost fun. It's definitely not something I can see myself doing for the rest of my life, but at least I'm not freaked out about/dreading 3rd year rotation anymore.

I also learned NEODATA today, our charting system. Dr. K is preparing me for 4th year externship - for that I am really, really excited. Granted it's totally early... but as quickly as last year passed I know it'll be here before I know it.

With experience comes freedom, and responsibility... which is a little intimidating but leads to more experience and the circle continues. Today I was assigned a patient to follow with a NNP. "My" baby isn't a full term grower-feeder or even a micro preemie. It's a really, really complicated case. I'm slightly intimidated by the complexities of it all... but the NNP's are wonderful and she'll be making the decisions - I'm just allowed to verbalize my thoughts first and see if I can come up with the right ideas. So here I am on a Friday night, formulating a differential and planning to go up to the hospital both days this weekend to do a physical. Some call it crazy, some call it love.... but I'm soaking up EVERY possible moment.

1 comments:

K.D said...

dr. k!!!
i like him already! :p

anyway.. i dunno why you people wanna be m.d anyways
i mean its not like you people know what you're doin! :p

good luck with your 159 days