Saturday, March 21, 2009

Death is not fair....

Over the past week, I've struggled with more than one death, and I've come to realize that not only is life unfair, but death is also.

Early this week, a coworker and his wife had a miscarriage. It was a prayed for, worked for, dreamed of baby... and seems so unfair that they would be the ones to lose one.

Then, a friend lost her father quite unexpectedly. He had an extensive, but somewhat routine, surgery done on Tuesday. Wednesday he went downhill all day, and an extensive bleed was discovered too late. He bled out Wednesday night. Not only was it unexpected, but it was somewhat preventable. I'm sure the hospital will be doing an M & M case on it. Had the surgeon been consulted even two hours earlier, he probably could've done something...

What I've learned is that life, and death, are quite unfair. The most Godly can be the most tested. And things are never easy. When I'm the doctor, I will write orders no matter how "common sense" they seem, to try to alleviate the health care professional "wait and see" approach. I will try to never forget that the family as well as the patient must be treated.

My heart is broken for my friends. I don't know what to do or what to say. I'm sending my love and my prayers, and feel like I can't even begin to do enough.

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Its really tough to lose a loved one.My grandmother died last year.I miss her alot.She taught me how follow God's teachings.