Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Thanksliving and Peds Palliative Care

The other night I saw on TV about a fairly new phenomenon that's becoming quite popular called "Thanksliving". In this event, the turkeys are the guests of honor, and they partake of a vegan Thanksgiving meal with the humans. A fascinating idea that is quite nice for our feathered friends, but unfortunately I like turkey way too much to celebrate Thanksgiving without it.

However, the title of the meal has really struck a chord with me as I started pediatric palliative care this week. I've been completely in love with the subspecialty. It's definitely something I feel my heartstrings tugging toward. In just three days I've really learned about "Thanksliving". It's not a day we celebrate so much as an attitude we should have (and these kids have) every single day. They wake up and celebrate just being alive. They find joy in simple things (today - turkey and homemade macaroni and cheese that the awesome nurses brought in because the kids' menu isn't built around holidays and last year they had hot dogs on thanksgiving). They belly laugh. They speak with their eyes, sing with their hearts, and pierce my soul.

And that's why from this day forward, I'll try to constantly be in a state of "Thanksliving". But I'll always have my turkey :)

1 comments:

Unknown said...

I think being on peds kind of forces you into a state of THanksliving...even though sometimes we forget and have to be shocked back into it. Hope you had a great Thanksgiving day! Glad you're enjoying your rotation.