Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Semester 2, Test 1.

Last week was a good one, but busy. We had our physiology pig lab. I enjoyed it a lot.. putting in lines comes fairly natural for me, and I don't freak out over blood spills. We hit a bleeder or two in the pig, and besides wanting suction so I could see what was going on, I was calm, cool, and collected. I still say I'm not feeling surgery in my future, but it's nice to know I can do it when I have to. It's amazing how different it is working on a living, breathing animal instead of a cadaver. Skin and connective tissue is much tougher in real life.

Yesterday was our first test of the semester. Cardiac physiology. I really liked learning this last unit. Everything we're doing these days is actually applicable to practice, and that's a nice change. I've been taking it easy and having a lot more fun than I was able to last semester. We've had some girls' nights, slumber parties, and movie nights. Yesterday a bunch of us did dinner and a movie (Extraordinary Measures with Harrison Ford and Brenden Fraser - it's a "med school nerd movie" about Pompe Disease). The movie was on the upper side of average (and towards the "good" end for my medical school friends) , but the company and socializing time was wonderful. For the first time in a long time, I managed to fall behind on my reading last night. It was totally worth it. :)

In the not-med-school related (but sort of) arena, I'm training for "Rush to Brush" on February 13th for Batson's dental clinics. I've run a lot at different times in the past, but allowed myself to get completely out of shape first semester. It's been a struggle to get back in the swing of things. But I'm very very excited about my first race. As an asthmatic, 5k is the equivalent of a marathon some days :) In OB/GYN interest group today they mentioned another 5k coming up for Women's Health later in the semester - I have a feeling that race 1 will get me addicted enough that i'll look forward to race 2.

On that note, I'm off to put a few miles on those running shoes... ;)

1 comments:

Mel said...

Just a few things, to make you laugh and smile...
1) Skin and connective tissue are much tougher when you're actually the one cutting through it, not letting Group B do it for you. :p

2) girls nights and slumber parties are amazing, we will definitely keep them up this semester.

and 3) yay for "falling behind on your reading" *cough* GUNNER!!!!! *cough*