Tuesday, April 18, 2017

God's greater plan

I've been struggling about how and when to make this post for quite a while. You see, I was one of those kids of always had my life all figured out.  I would grow up, be a neonatologist, and save all the babies in the world.

This is where the story changes.
This is where I get real with you.
This is where God comes in.

 I started fellowship, and I loved being with the babies. Around the same time I also fell in love with a long time best friend and  began to learn the joys of having children in my life that weren't just at work.  The relationship flourished, the babies grew, and I missed out. A lot.  Consistently. Time after time I found myself at work or crying and exhaustion that I couldn't be home or do what I wanted to do for myself or my family.

 This is where things get really tough. This is why I tell you that the girl with solid dreams forever contemplated quitting medicine altogether. These are the days I couldn't get out of bed. Depression and scary thoughts In overworked doctors are real.  They can happen to anyone you know and love.

That very  Day, I reached out to a friend who had been joking about going to work with for a while. Through a series of fortunate events and nothing short of God's greatest blessings, I'll be starting a new job in a few months at the children's clinic in Hattiesburg. I'll be near my  Family and friends, I'll work a fraction of the hours I do now, and I'll be taking care of myself.  Because no matter how much you love your job you have to come first.

 I'm sure all occasionally miss the hustle and bustle of the NICU, and I will always look back fondly on my memories. But I'm proud of myself for stepping out in faith and knowing there's so much more to life than what I committed myself to twenty years ago.

People don't change. Priorities do. I am so thankful to be old and wise enough to see it and yet young enough and fearless enough to follow through. I'm building a house, a practice, and a LIFE. God continues to be good to me every day. I can't wait to give back to the Hattiesburg community.

Welcome home to me. Both to my soul and my relocation.

-Dr Meg

1 comments:

Vicci Hall said...

I'm so proud of you and happy for you! I think you will have fulfilled your purpose in the NICU. I am so very, very thankful that you were there for us. God has a plan! You just have to be receptive to him and follow his lead. Love you Dr. Meg